Wednesday, January 11, 2012

On-The-Go Knitting Bag Tutorial

Pin It


One of the best things about knitting, crochet and other handiwork crafts is how portable they are.  You can work on them just about anywhere.  But throwing them into a purse isn't ideal and neither are a lot of the store-bought solutions.  Have you seen some of the knitting storage totes?  They're like carry-on luggage!  And you don't always need to bring all your gear with you - just what you're working on.


This little bag is a great way to carry a few crafty items and then have a great workspace wherever you are.  When it's time to pack up, just pull the drawstrings on you're ready to go.  It's also an ideal solution for toting kids toys, use as a lunch bag, etc.


I was inspired to make this bag by the fabric itself.  It's from the Timeless Treasures "Do Ewe Knit" collection.  What better use for a knitting themed fabric than a bag for my knitting stuff?  Ready to make one yourself?  It's super easy.  Here's how:

You'll Need
- Two 3/4yd cotton prints for outer & inner of bag
- One 3/4yd Pellon Shape-Flex® 100% cotton fusible interfacing
- Two grommets
- One yard of cording
- Iron & ironing board
- Basic notions (sewing machine, pins, marking pen, safety pin, shears/rotary cutter. etc.)

Start with cutting two 20 inch diameter circles from your outer & inner fabric and another circle from Pellon Shape-Flex.  The Shape-Flex will give the bag extra strength and shape without being bulky or affecting it's "cinch-ability" - don't you like that totally made-up word?;)


Cutting the circles is easy if you fold the fabric in half lengthwise and then again widthwise and draw an arc, then cut along the arc and open.


You'll also want to cut a 5 inch high by 42 inch wide strip from the outer fabric (easy to cut when selvage ends are together):


Fold the strip lengthwise with right sides facing and stitch along the length with a 1/8 inch seam allowance.  Then turn right side out, press and then top stitch along both sides of the strap:



Fuse the Shape-Flex to the wrong side of the outer fabric.  Using a marking pen measure 1.5 inches in from raw edge of the outer circle and mark two points that are 2 inches apart.  This is for setting the grommets.


Set the grommets according to the maker's instructions:


Now, with right sides of the circles facing, sandwich the strap in between them so its ends are in line with the raw edges of the circles and exactly opposite one another.  


Pin into place and stitch around the entire circle with a 1/4 inch seam allowance, leaving a 2 inch gap for turning right side out.  Clip around the circle so it will curve properly when turned:


Now turn bag right side out, press around the edges and then top stitch around the seam (this will close up the turning gap).


Then stitch all the way around the circle with a 2 inch seam allowance to make the casing for the drawstring:


Attach a safety pin to one end of the cording and insert into one grommet, snaking around the casing and coming out the other grommet:


Knot the ends of the cord,



and now the bag is ready to use!



Sharing this with my FAVE LINK PARTIES too so click HERE to check them out!

33 comments:

  1. FIRST I would NEED to learn how to KNIT... Oh boy wouldn't that be something... I LOVE seeing all the Beautiful Knitted and Crocheted Projects out there in Blog land... This is a very CUTE bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a neat bag. would that work for like canvas or something? I could see some adventurers running around with their kit crammed in there; like a plane, a couple hot wheels, three superballs, some strange coins, a jar lid, a smurf, and half a sandwich.

    I could use one myself actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vraiment très réussi ! Le résultat est superbe !
    Merci de partager la manière de faire.
    Bises
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can think of only about one hundred things to do with this bag! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Wish I could sew:0) New follower from Look what I made link party!

    Loressa
    http://lifescuriouswisdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much everyone! I loved making this because it was so quick and versatile too.

    Colonel Fortune - yes canvas would make this great for hard playing kids (the ones around here are for sure).

    Loressa - glad you found me & this bag is definitely beginner friendly. Being able to sew a basic line is all the skill needed:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is genius. I love how it opens up all the way. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love these. I've seen some cute drawstring bags before but the addition of a strap to this one makes it stand out. I would love to do this with some shimmery fabric to hold jewelry when traveling. It would keep it from being strewn about my carry-on luggage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just pinned this! I am sending this to my sister (who is supposed to be teaching me how to sew!)letting her know this is what I want to make first :) I love crocheting and you are totally right - this is an excellent way to carry around those projects on the go! I would love for you to share this with my readers if you get the chance: http://www.momontimeout.com/2012/01/taking-timeout-thursday-no-12.html#uds-search-results

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is a FAB bag, my to do list just keeps on growing...... ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rebecca - love the shimmery jewelry bag idea! Definitely make one & link it to the Craftastic party.

    Trish - heading over to link up now:)

    Sarah - this bag is so fast to put together it won't be on a to-do list long!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!! you are so crafty! great tutorial. Feel free to share on my party blog- I host a linky on Tuesday and it's still open: http://www.atozebracelebrations.blogspot.com/2012/01/totally-cute-crafts-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how Cute this bag looks in the picture you are carrying it outside.. And hey you are lucky to have Snow.. We used to live in Toronto before moving to Houston.. And I miss all that whiteness So Much!
    Thanks for sharing the tutorial
    Love
    Hani

    ReplyDelete
  14. A to Zebra - Thanks for the invite - I'm linking it now:)

    Hani - Thanks so much. We JUST got some snow here. It's been the mildest MI winter I've seen (and truthfully my favorite), but you're right, it is nice to pretty to see outside.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea, love the fabric choice too.Thank you for participating in the Thursday Favorite Things hop. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the simplicity of this. I can see making a few smaller ones for storing sterling silver bracelets to keep them from tarnishing. Found your site via Carolyn's Homework. Thanks for posting there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous bag!! Great tutorial too!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is such a great idea! I've been looking for a bag to carry knitting, but nothing seemed convenient or right. his is perfect (and I'm sure I've already got all the materials I need too)! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the tutorial! great project!!!

    Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday
    Hope to see you next time

    Natasha xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful idea...I love to see this post ...thank you soooooo much for sharing ...:)

    jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my! Where did you get that fabric? Do you know the name? Maker? I would love to make these for my knitting group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a link to the whole collection "Do Ewe Knit" in the post - it's made by Timeless Treasures.

      Delete
  22. A perfect combination of form and function! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the shape of this bag and yes, the fabric is adorable!!! I would never have thought of using grommets for the casing... good alternative to buttonholes. Love the long strap... makes it so easy to cart along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I love using grommets because they are a lot easier than buttonholes and don't ever wear out!

      Delete
  25. superbe comme d habitude tu es douee bisessssssssssssssssss

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a great idea and a well written tutorial! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for a great tutorial. Pinned it yesterday, made it today. Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great to hear Jan - I'd love to see it!

      Delete

Getting your comments brightens my day. I'd love if you left one:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails