Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy's Hot Glue Tie-Dye


Hiya!  I'm Stacey from Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy!.  I'm excited to be back again, guest posting for Hot Glue Gun Week. Okay, I have to admit, my crafting adventures often have a huge element of surprise to them.  When I saw that Cheryl was looking for guest posters for this year's CraftShare in the glue gun category, it gave me the gumption to try something I've been mulling over for a while now.  I think you'll agree with me that this is not your typical glue gun craft.

Here's my thought process:  I love the look of tie dye.  I hate all that boiling and soaking.  I hate the endless moments of twisting and untwisting or cutting rubber bands.  I hate the fact that so often all of this tedious work results in a muddy looking mess instead of what was expected.

Which brought me to the question, is there a way to get around the parts I hate to get to the look I want.  Which lead me back to my trusty glue gun.  She's held true during countless hours of affixing dried beans, recycled wine corks,  and felt circles but could she do the impossible and create a tie dyed t-shirt effect?

The answer is a resounding yes.  Here's how to put your own glue gun to work.

Supplies:
Glue Gun and glue
A Cold Dye Kit (I used this one by Tulip)
White cotton T-shirt/onesie

1.  Simply heat your gun and use it to draw on the design/pattern of your choice.  In my first trial I went with the traditional swirl. You'll want to place a piece of cardboard between the layers of the shirt so the glue doesn't fuse the cotton together.

2.  Let the glue set for at least 10 minutes to ensure cooling and then get to work dying the shirt per the kits advice. Don't panic if the dye bleeds under the hot glue.


3.  Once the shirt is dyed as wanted, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for at least 6 to 8 hours.  I let mine go over night.  The longer it sits the more vibrant the colors.

4.  Fill your sink with a solution of cold water and white vinegar and let soak for 10 minutes.  Wring out and rinse until the color no longer bleeds.


5. Start from one corner of your glue and peel back from the fabric.


The areas of hot glue should be white.

6.  Wash your shirt ALONE with white vinegar added to the water.  Then machine dry.


7.  Stand back and admire your work.


One of the things I love about the glue gun factor, is that it provides the opportunity to play with shapes.  I love how the swirl effect turned out, especially because this one begins with a heart.


And here's an example that was chevron inspired.


Thanks for hanging with me stop in today. Let me know if you have any questions and if you give this a try I'd love to see how they turn out, please e-mail or stop by the Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy Crafts Flickr Group and post your pics.

Thanks so much for sharing such an awesome hot glue gun craft Stacey!!

3 comments:

  1. Never seen anything like this! Wow, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m super excited to try this, especially for dog bandanas!! This is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it and I hope it works well for you - bandanas is a great use for it!!

      Delete

Getting your comments brightens my day. I'd love if you left one:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails