Tuesday, July 12, 2011

CraftShare Special Guest: Mod Podge Coucous!!


Well this was supposed to be a second week of Tasty Treats, but several guest posters fell through & I didn't have enough of my own post to cover the theme for another full week:( On the bright side, there were lots of Mod Podge guests rearing to go, so I'm moving up a week of Mod Podge that is "edible" themed, so it's still sort of tasty.   

Mod Podge is a key item in most crafter's arsenals - it's a glue, it's sealer, it's a finish and it works on loads of surfaces.  Today's project is by far the most creative use I've seen for it: Couscous!  My special guest, April from Kool Beenz, is going to show us how to transform this grain into an amazing jewelry.  Now let's get to it!



Hello Everyone.  My name is @pril, my blog is KoolBeenz and this is my first time being a Guest Blogger!  My blog is what I call "An Assorted Blog".  It's for crafting, sewing, recipes, give-aways, kid's stuff, etc. 


A FEW TIDBITS ABOUT ME:
  • I like to try all sorts of crafts, especially fast ones
  • I sew baby gifts for my online shoppe
  • I collect 4 & 5 leaf clovers as well as Tabasco & Chili Pepper stuff
* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ 

So this is my contribution for Sew Can Do's CraftShare 2011 Mod Podge section.  This is a project I made for Valentine's Day but it can be adapted to any holiday, season, party theme, etc.  It can even be used for picture frames, etc.  This tutorial will show you have to make Couscous Pasta Pins.  Couscous is great to eat but also fun to wear.


YOU WILL NEED:

Bowl for mixing

Spoon (tsp or tbsp)

Mod Podge or anything like it

Couscous pasta (usually comes in a box, should be next to pasta or rice in grocery store)

Small wooden shape (buy from craft store, they are usually really cheap, sometimes 2 for $1)

Acrylic paint in whatever color you want to paint the dried Couscous

Glitter

Braided trim (usually in the ribbon section at craft stores, buy by roll or yard)

Tacky Glue, E-6000 or any other type of heavy duty craft glue

Satin Roses (you can find them in the ribbon or bridal section at craft stores)

IF YOU LOOK AROUND THE CRAFT STORE, THERE ARE LOTS OF IDEA OF GLUE ONS!
GLUE ONS CAN BE BEADS, CABACHONS, RHINESTONES, FELT SHAPES, ETC.

Pin Back (usually in jewelry section, make sure you get the kind with a flat side with holes in it)

LETS GET STARTED

1) Pour what you think will be enough Couscous into a bowl

2) Add enough Mod Podge to the Couscous to hold it together.  Stir & mix well.

3) Don't allow the mixture to sit long as it tends to harden rather quickly.

Mix enough Couscous mixture to make 2 or 3 pins at a time.

4) Spoon Couscous mixture onto wooden shape.  Shape & mold the mixture quickly with your fingers,pressing it firmly together and onto the shape.  Round out the shape by the edges.  Allow to dry for a few hours so that all the glue inside & out can dry enough.


5) Paint the dried Couscous mixture with acrylic paint. Make sure you use enough paint because you will sprinkle glitter onto the wet paint.  Let the paint dry.


6) If you like, you can use a spray glue on top of the glitter, gently, to make sure it's permanent.

7) Trim the outside edge of the shape with the braided trim using the glue that you have.  Make sure it's secured well.

8) Glue the satin ribbon rose or whatever "Glue On" that you want.

9) Glue the pin back onto the backside of the wooden shape.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~  
Thank you for reading my Guest post!

Thanks for the fab tutorial April!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is awesome...couscous is a staple food in my home, so I have plenty on hand to give this a try...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toujours de très bonnes idées et très jolies en plus !
    Bises
    Anna

    ReplyDelete

Getting your comments brightens my day. I'd love if you left one:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails