Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Romper Recycle: Bigger Size+Better Style


Have you ever had a random idea that turns out better than things you planned & planned like crazy?  This was one of those ideas for me.  Serena had so many cute little outfits from last summer that were outgrown, but I really wished she could still wear.  I've been known to go all chop-shop on stuff to make it last longer so I decided I'd do that with a few of those.  Today's project is my favorite one.


We started with this bubble romper.  I loved the cotton flower overlay over the onesie part.  It was definitely too short for her to wear anymore, so I flipped up the dress part and cut as close to the top as I could:


And trimmed up that raw edge with pinking shears so it wouldn't look like a mess or get stringy:


Then a grabbed a pair of bloomers that did fit and measured about an inch & a half up from the waist and cut again, so I'd have enough fabric to fold into a casing.


I made the waistband casing and snaked a piece of 1/2 inch elastic through and finished stitching it up


Now I had a cute pair of stretchy bloomers and a little tank top:


But the dress part was split up the back by design so it was more of a kerchief style top now, so I thought why not go one step further on the cuteness scale?  I pulled apart of few silk flowers I had (that were perfect color matches too!) and then hand sewed those onto the bloomers using yellow embroidery floss.  I made french knots so they would stay on really well and the centers of the flowers would look pretty:


I am seriously in love with this outfit now.  It's perfect for those crazy hot days we've been having.


I also love how the bloomers snap open, so it's easy to change diapers.  And it is a perfect fit over her cloth diapers too (unlike the incredibly tiny pants the stores sell with little dresses).


2 summers of wear, originally cost $6.99 and now is cuter than ever.  LOVE!


Sharing this creation with my FAVE LINK PARTIES too so click HERE to check them out!
 Tip Junkie handmade projects

20 comments:

  1. Very cute! What a great Idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is genius! LOVE! I am doing an America the Beautiful series right now on my blog. I hope you will hop over and check it out!
    Jenni (your newest follower)
    kissedbyafrog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have such cute stuff!! I LOVE the flowers on the bum. I also cut up clothes to make them last longer. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is darling - tho I think the wearer is part of what makes it so cute! Great way to get another summer out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love this!!! So cute and creative!! I can't wait to try it out on my little girl! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea...Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. visiting from fireflies and jellybeans...to cute love it
    craftedbymama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheryl again so sorry to have upset you. I sort of wear my heart on my sleave and feel horrible when I have upset anyone. Belive me it wasn't my intentions. I like to sew, craft, and it seemed like we had things in common. Again just wanted to invite you to my party. I don't know what the point of a party would be if I didn't inivte people like you to join. Again so sorry and if you would forgive me I would be happy to grab your button for my blog. Again sorry. I am a nice person if you would give me a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS, I like to invite people Like you that have Etsy shops like me because you are welcome to link them up too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! New followers.... :)

    SewStylishBoutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute!! Makes me wish I had a girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely adorable! Great job!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks again for linking to Bacon Time. I am featuring your project on Friaday morning features. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! I love the flowers you added to the back of her bloomers. I think your project is so cute and my readers would love it. I hope you stop by my blog and link it up to my party.
    Jennie
    http://willowbeanstudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Getting your comments brightens my day. I'd love if you left one:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails