Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ahoy!! Thar Be A Pint Sized Pirate!


Shiver me timbers!  What have we got 'ere?  A wee pirate off for some high seas adventure!  Well mateys, this creation was a request of the little guy pictured.  We had a plastic eyepatch go missing from the toy bin and he would not settle for "it must be lost" as an answer.  So I set about creating a handmade one.  And while I was in the middle of making it he threw in "and can you make me a pirate hat?".  These kids are so used to me making things, they are starting to put in requests!  Needless to say, the challenge was on & I set to work.

I started on the eyepatch by measuring the height & width that would cover his eye and made a rounded cornered triangle pattern (you could probably roughly trace one side of a pair of glasses).  I cut two pieces of fleece with my pattern.  But plain black just seemed boring, so I used my Cuttlebug to cut some white felt letters to make the "Argh".  I had to trim the letters a bit so they would fit just right and then stitched them to one of the patch sides:


Then with the right sides facing, I stitched the top & around the lower sides with a bit of a slant so there would be a big enough opening to turn it and insert the elastic.  I clipped around the curves and then turned it right side out, folding in the raw open edges:


I measured around his head to the edges of his eye socket and cut a piece of 1/4" elastic slightly smaller than that measurement.  Then I insert each end into the openings and then topstitched all the way around:


It definitely gives the saucy pirate feel, even without vocal effects:


I used my favorite fabric friend, fleece, to create the perfect pirate hat.  I hand drew the skull & crossbones design and cut & stitched that on for the authentic pirate flair:


Now, he wasn't my most patient customer.  When I presented the finished eyepatch, he impatiently asked "Where's my pirate hat?".  Geez, pushy much, buddy?!?  But despite that, he is one of my favorite customers.  He was beside himself when he got to put them on.  And adding the vest I made for his Han Solo Halloween costume completed the look.  He totally pranced & posed whenever he saw his reflection and constantly said "Shibber me timbers!!" to anyone and everyone.


And the novelty has not worn off.  He literally wears them everywhere - grocery store, post office, all day in the house, so it's a great feeling seeing how much he loves them.  Who says you have to wait for Talk Like A Pirate Day to show your swashbuckling style?


And for anyone looking for their own Pint Sized Pirate gear, I've added the hat and the set to my shop so other babies & kids can gear up for their own jolly adventures:)


Sharing these creations with my FAVE LINK PARTIES too so click HERE to check them out!
Tip Junkie handmade projects

24 comments:

  1. Awesome! My boys would love a pirate patch like that! I just linked up to your party... 1st time visitor and your newest follower!
    xo,
    Laurie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looooove it! The boys would SO want one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! My son is big into pirates right now! Thanks for sharing-

    Valerie-www.occasionallycrafty.blogspot.com
    Stop on by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came over from seeing your link at AllThingzRelated. Love this! I might be making this for a Christmas present for my little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing new boy stuff, I made a cape for my son a few weeks ago and he loves it! I may try the pirate hat and patch now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tut! I'd love for you to link up to Wow Me Wednesday!

    http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/03/wow-me-wednesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaargg! CUTE!
    I LOVE this! Its PERFECT for you to Link up at my Linky PAR-TAY,

    Whassup Wednesday!!!

    And I have a party button you can grab so your friends can come too:)

    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shiver me timbers...

    LOVE! We have an amazing place called Pirate's Cove in Chicago that my boys would love to wear this to!

    I'd be honored if you could share this with my readers tonight @Creative Juice Thursday. Party starts @ 7pm CST. Get your crafting shoes on. Hope to see you there...

    ReplyDelete
  9. so cute! my boys would love this! I found you at Dragonfly Designs linky party. www.thebakingmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stop by and feel free to link up to my MAKE & SHARE first edition tomorrow.

    We are homeschooling and one way to get my 4yr old to remember the AR sound is to mimic pirates, too cute and in felt.

    ~Christy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant!! My kids are the same with requesting stuff! At least now they're reaching an age that they can start to make things for themselves!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant!! My kids are the same with requesting stuff! At least now they're reaching an age that they can start to make things for themselves!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant!! My kids are the same with requesting stuff! At least now they're reaching an age that they can start to make things for themselves!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. It came out great! I love the added touch of the letters on the eye patch. Great Job Mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still am smitten with the eye patch. This summer, I am redoing a pirate room for my boys!

    Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. adorable, and love that you used fleece, looks so comfortable! thanks so much for sharing on Craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh! This is soooo stinking adorable! Looks like such a fun costume and who doesn't love a good pirate? Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/04/pink-hippo-party-23.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love love love! My lil man loves pirates! I have to check to see if I have the supplies, I may make this today!


    Would love for you to share and stop by my new link party!
    http://allthingsfee.blogspot.com/2011/04/want-to-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. absolutely genius! my little man is gonna love this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for linking up to Calling all Crafters on All Things Fee!

    Hope to see you link up again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved this idea! I followed your steps and make a great pirate hat for my little guy. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is the pattern available? The hat and eye patch are awesome and would love to make a set for my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy,

      Sorry, I don't offer a pattern for these. I made them for my shop for a while, but just don't have the time these days.

      Delete

Getting your comments brightens my day. I'd love if you left one:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails