Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Doctor Is In Felt Play Set



Since there's quite a bit of extra felt left over from the Felt Playhouse I've been working on, I decided to put it to use.  Seeing the idea for felt band-aids at Pink & Green Mama I knew a doctor's kit would be ideal.  It was so fun to plan, I couldn't wait to make it.  Band-aids, an x-ray, roll bandage, stethoscope, cast, blood pressure cuff & medical bag to put it in.


The band-aids use velcro on the ends to make them stay on & stitching a little pad in the middle makes them look realistic.  I folded & stitched the edges of a long strip of white for the roll bandage.  I did the same for the blood pressure cuff, but added in the inflation part before stitching it shut and added 2 inch wide velcro to the ends.    The stethoscope has pipe cleaners in it, so it bends like a real one.  The x-ray was a little tricky, since I freehanded it with scissors, but sewing it on one piece of felt and then putting another on the back was easy.   For the medical bag I used clipped corners in the bottom & folded in side edges to make it have the doctor-ish shape.  My favorite item though has got to be the cast.


I measured my kid's arms for length & width and added 2 inches & cut that out in felt.  I made a document with fonts that looked like handwriting and printed that out on a fabric sheet.  I stitched the two fabrics together and then stitched it into a tube shape.  I'm kind of amazed at how real this thing looks.  Hopefully this is as close to ever having a cast as we'll get.  I threw in some craft tongue depressors to complete the set.  Now we've got the answer to "Is there a doctor in the house?".

**Don't forget to enter my Hairdo Hat Giveaway to win a new little 'do for a baby you know!**

Sharing with:
Fireflies & Jellybeans SOYS
Life As Lori's Get Your Craft On
Childmade
The Girl Creative's Just Something I Whipped Up
Tip Junkie's Show & Tell
Somewhat Simple's SYS
Blue Cricket Design's Show & Tell
Today's Creative's Get Your Craft On
733's What Are Little Boys Made Of?
Treasure's For Tots Thursday's Treasures
Poppies At Play's Creative Cats

36 comments:

  1. That is just adorable. My kiddos would love it! I love the creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO ADORABLE!!! Oh my goodness, I think I need to make a cast now, my girls are ALWAYS pretending they have broken arms and legs but around here they use ace bandages and silk scarves! : )

    Thanks so much for link and I LOVE that you were inspired to make such a fantastic project for your kids from my little old felt band aids. What lucky kiddos to have such a creative and crafty mama!!

    xoxo
    love,
    pink and green mama
    MaryLea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added a link to your post at the end of my original felt band-aid post!! Hope that's okay, this is just too adorable not to share with my readers!! : )
    love,
    marylea

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so creative and I'm sure the kids love it! That cast is too adorable and how ingenious to use the printable fabric! :)

    Thanks for linking up today.

    Kim
    seven thirty three - - - a creative blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really cute - and the cast is fantastic! Not something I've ever seen in a 'doctor kit' from the toyshop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome idea!!!!! my son would love this

    ReplyDelete
  7. How creative! I love the bandaids :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out fantastic!! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh now, this is too cute...it's so funny that kids love to play doctor but most don't like to go to one :)
    -Mags

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are adorable!

    Found you on FF! Following you!

    http://householdcents.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fun and clever!

    Just stopping in and looking around from Follow Friday! And just became your newest follower! Yea! Hope you stop by and return the favor!

    My blog www.remodelaholic.com is all about interior design and remodeling there are some great tutorials so you can get the look you want on a budget! We also have a party every Friday to show off your stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just way cute! What a great gift idea for the little future doctor in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like so much fun! I know my kids would especially enjoy the cast. They are always wrapping my scarfs around their arms and legs! These would make such great gifts! Thanks for the idea and for linking to Creative Cats today!

    ~Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Following you from Friday Follow, hope you can come by later. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE it! I think my little boy would get a kick out of this. It goes onto the project list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is way too cute and based on the "You might also like..." suggestions, I'll be searching around your blog for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Following from Friday Follow! I love this doctors kit it's too cute! I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and say hi. :)

    http://lifebeneathapizzabox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great! I am making one! Happy Friday Follow...thanks for the follow...right back at ya! Happy crafting.
    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super cute.

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Please join me next week for another great party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable!

    Hello from a late friday follower!

    Following from:
    bizzimommi.blogspopt.com

    Hope you'll come by!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a great idea! I have a nephew who is convinced he is going to be a vet and something like this would be great for him!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is awesome! My son would have so much fun with this. I’m starting a new MckLinky party called TOT TUESDAYS next week. I’d love it if you’d stop by & share your ideas. Here’s the information & my new buttons: http://delicious-ambiguity-nennyk.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-buttons-party.html Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is fabulous!!! I just linked it on my blog because I love it so much (giving the credit back to you of course.) I just love it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for linking up today. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for fun and adorable project! I made one and linked you up!! Check it out! http://vixenmade.blogspot.com/2011/11/felt-doctor-kit-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the great ideas! I just made my son one based on yours. He loves it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! I'd love to see a photo of it if you ever take one:)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I will email a picture. :)

      Delete

Getting your comments brightens my day. I'd love if you left one:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails