Friday, July 24, 2009

Oh-Sew-Easy Flower Hats


While perusing the many fabulous blogs out there this week I ran across a great how-to for flower headbands by Homemade By Jill. I'd been looking for some ideas for little girl hair accessories (something I've been out of the loop with having only boys up until now). The tricky thing is who knows how much hair or how big a head baby will have? So I whipped up a few stretchy caps from scrap fabric and the silk flower bouquet I got for 99 cents at Joann's. I made a simple half-circle pattern that was 7 inches wide in diameter and then added a few inches to the flat edge so it could be rolled up with a brim for a tiny head or left down as baby grows.

Instead of using hot glue and the plastic bits, I hand stitched french knots at the center of the flowers to both anchor them to the hats and give them a pretty center. The great part is I still have a lot of flowers left and the success in how they turned out has inspired me with other ideas for using them to make some cute little items.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the french knots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are adorable. I'm going to pass this link around to some of my crafty blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete

Getting your comments brightens my day. I'd love if you left one:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails